Patients who have lost most or all of their teeth can generally benefit from dentures. At 4Excellence in Dentistry, we offer dentures that are crafted to look entirely natural and fit comfortably in the patient’s mouth. For those patients who wish to eliminate the risk of their dentures slipping or shifting out of place, we offer state-of-the-art implant-supported dentures.
Secure, Comfortable Dentures
When adult tooth loss has occurred, there are many replacement options for patients to consider. Dentures have long been among the most affordable and widely used restorative solutions to tooth loss; however, they have also earned the reputation of being loose, uncomfortable, and ill fitting. While that may be the case with traditional dentures, our Long Island practice provides implant-supported dentures that are secure and comfortable.
Dentures are often recommended for patients who have experienced significant tooth loss. If you are missing most or all of your teeth, you may be a candidate. A set of dentures can be fabricated to replace a small group of teeth up to an entire upper or lower arch. Although the dentures are a single piece (or a set of two pieces when both the upper and lower jaw have tooth loss) they resemble a natural set of teeth. Many patients who are candidates for traditional dentures are also candidates for implant-supported dentures. Traditional dental implants do require a significant amount of jawbone to support the dental implants. However, in most cases of implant-supported dentures, we use mini implants as anchors for the dentures. Mini implants are smaller and do not require as much bone density; therefore, they are a viable option for many of our patients.
Benefits of Implant-Supported Dentures
Dentures that are supported by dental implants provide the benefits of traditional dentures without the inconveniences associated with removable dentures. These benefits include:
- Comfort and security: Implant-supported dentures attach to a set of mini implants that keep the dentures securely fastened to the jawbone. This means the dentures will stay in place so that patients can eat, drink, and speak without the fear that they will slip out of place and without any uncomfortable rubbing against the gum line.
- Convenience: Dentures are convenient because they require just a single dental fabrication to replace up to an entire row of teeth. Implant-supported dentures provide the added convenience of being secured to the jawbone so that they cannot be easily lost or misplaced.
- Ease of care: One of the biggest inconveniences of traditional dentures is that they require messy adhesives and need to be removed for cleaning. Implant-supported dentures are anchored to the implants so that no adhesive is necessary. With the security that is provided by the implants, the dentures can be brushed and cleaned just as the natural teeth would be.
- Aesthetic improvement: Dentures replace missing teeth and restore beauty to a patient’s smile. Dentures are personally fabricated for each patient so that they seamlessly blend in with any remaining natural teeth in terms of color, shape, size, and even texture.
For many patients, removable dentures are appealing because of their affordability. Although it is not possible to determine the cost of treatment without a consultation with one our dentists, it is safe to say that implant-supported dentures will cost more than traditional dentures. However, for patients who are candidates for the mini implants, the cost will be significantly less than it would be with traditional dental implants. Mini implants are smaller and can often be placed in a single appointment; just two factors that help keep the costs of mini implants down. Most patients find that the extra cost of implant-supported dentures is well worth it for the added comfort and security.
Learn More about Implant-supported Dentures
If you are in need of dentures or are dissatisfied with your current dentures and would like to learn more about the benefits of implant-supported dentures, contact our office at your earliest convenience. Our dentists can determine whether you are a candidate for implant-supported dentures and answer any questions you may have about the procedure. We look forward to hearing from you!
Implant-Supported Dentures Offer Stability and a Natural Appearance
If you are missing teeth, it can take a serious toll on your quality of life, affecting your ability to chew and speak, while compromising the appearance of your smile. We offer implant-supported dentures at our Long Island practice. We consider this one of the very best ways to replace missing teeth. These state-of-the art restorations allow us to replace an entire arch of teeth with stable; lifelike restorations that attach to permanent implant posts surgically implanted in the jaw. To learn more about implant-supported dentures, and to find out if they are right for you, contact our office today.
An Introduction to Implants
Dental implants are small titanium posts placed in the jaw to replace lost tooth roots. The traditional procedure typically requires two surgeries performed over the course of three to six months. However, we also provide single-day implants for qualifying candidates. Implants fuse to the jawbone, providing the ultimate foundation for dental restorations. Meanwhile, implants prevent the atrophy of the jawbone that can occur in the absence of tooth roots.
We can modify your existing dentures to fit your dental implants, or create an entirely new set. Once in place, you can rely on your dentures as you would with natural teeth. You need not worry about taking a big bite out of a crisp apple, giving a speech, or sharing a hearty laugh with friends. Your implant-supported dentures remain firmly in place through all manner of daily use.
Candidates for Implant-supported Dentures
If you have lost a significant number of teeth, you may be a good candidate for implant-supported dentures. However, you must have good periodontal health and sufficient jawbone density to support the implant posts. Before receiving implant-supported dentures or single-tooth implants, you will have a complete consultation with your dentist. We will examine your gums and use an advanced cone beam CT scan to evaluate the structure of your jawbone. If you have waited a long time to address missing teeth, you may have lost some bone density in your jaw. In this case, a bone grafting procedure may be necessary. Or, if your jaw lacks the density for traditional implants, mini implants may be a viable alternative that does not require bone grafting. During your consultation, we can determine which type of dental implant is right for you.
Benefits of Implant-supported Dentures
Implant-supported dentures offer a range of potentially life-changing benefits:
- Implants are virtually indistinguishable from natural teeth.
- With proper care, implants can last a lifetime.
- Implant-supported dentures are stable. You will not have to worry about your dentures slipping, and will most likely not have to make any changes to your diet.
- Implant-supported dentures are custom-crafted to look absolutely natural.
- Implants are the only restorative option that can help you retain valuable bone mass in the absence of your natural tooth roots.
- Implant-supported dentures can restore your self-confidence and the functionality of your smile.
Schedule Your Consultation
To find out if you are a candidate for implant-supported dentures, schedule your consultation at 4Excellence in Dentistry today.